This article is copyrighted work. Please respect the author and link to this page instead of copying the article onto your site.
At the northeastern end of Zul’drak lies Gundrak, the Drakkari Ice Troll capital city. There are at least 2 entrances into this troll fortress, the meeting stone is located next to the northern entrance, so that’s where this guide begins.
On normal mode, Gundrak was designed for a 5-man group of players level 76-78. Deep within the troll city, you will find 4 bosses: Slad’ran, Moorabi, Drakkari Colossus, and Gal’darah the High Prophet of Akali. In order to access Gal’darah, you must first defeat the other 3 bosses and activate the altar next to each, a bit like The Steam Vault in Coilfang Reservoir.
There is not a lot of trash in Gundrak, usually no more than 3 or 4 pulls between the boss fights. You should be able to complete a full run in less than 45 minutes.
Gear and consumables
Like most Wrath of the Lich King dungeons, the Heroic version of this instance is tuned for players who are using high quality level 80 gear, as well as the best flasks and food buffs available. Getting the best possible gear for your character will make this fight a whole lot easier.
In WotLK, professions can be used to craft high quality epic gear. Most raid bosses also drop an epic bind-on-equip item. These items are the easiest way to get your character geared up fast, but they’re expensive to craft or buy on the AH. The easiest way to get your hands on them is to use a guide like WoW Gold Secrets, which has tips for making several thousand gold per day. This is a great way to save time and clear instances faster.
There are 2 quests that can be picked up by either faction without completing any precursors:
For Posterity – Chronicler Bah’Kini wants you to bring her 6 Drakkari History Tablets from within Gundrak. You can find her at Dubra’Jin, which is near the meeting stone and instance entrance.
One of a Kind – Grab a Drakkari Colossus Fragment (from the 2nd boss) for Chronicler Bah’Kini while you’re at it.
You can also get a 3rd quest for Gundrak:
Gal’darah Must Pay – Slay Gal’darah (last boss) for Tol’mar at Dubra’Jin.
In order to attain this quest you must first complete the precursor quests that begin with:
Strange Mojo – You have to loot “Strange Mojo” from one of the trolls at Altar of Sseratus and then take the item to Hexxer Ubungo at The Argent Stand.
A = Entrance
1 = Slad’ran
2 = Drakkari Colossus
3 = Moorabi
4 = Gal’darah
5 = Eck the Ferocious (Heroic Mode ONLY)
Instance map from Atlas. Line added to show basic route.
Den of Sseratus
After you enter the instance, look for the ramp on the right which leads you down into the Den of Sseratus and the first boss, Slad’ran.
Before you can fight the boss, you must clear the room of the following:
Spitting Cobra — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 1039-1785
- Cobra Strike – deals 2919-3414 physical damage
- Venom Spit – deals 2115-2257 poison damage to a target and about 576 damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds
Unyielding Constrictor — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 615-1230
- Vicious Bite – inflicts 726-1295 physical damage
The High Prophet of Sseratus, he has 176K HP. Normal melee damage 2036-2719.
- Venom Bolt – inflicts 2275-2601 nature damage
- Powerful Bite – deals 100% of normal damage and reduces the target’s armor by 20% for 5 seconds
- Poison Nova – deals 1717-2159 nature damage to nearby enemies and 981-1169 damage every 2 seconds for 16 seconds
On normal difficulty, this boss can be fought where he stands. You can simply tank and spank Slad’ran until adds spawn at about 30%, but (especially if your group’s DPS is heavily melee) this will require a lot of healing.
To reduce damage taken, melee DPS can move away from Slad’ran’s Poison Nova each time it is cast. If there is a shaman in your group, a Poison Cleansing Totem will also help.
When the snakes spawn, your DPS should try to kill them or at least keep them away from your healer. The Slad’ran Constrictor has the ability to Snake Wrap, immobilizing an enemy and making then unable to cast or attack. Like the cocoon of webs in Azjol-Nerub, you have to attack the Snake Wrap to release your party member.
If your group is wiping on this boss, you can pull him up the ramp toward the instance entrance. By standing one level up from the tank, your healer and ranged DPS can avoid taking damage from Poison Nova. It will also take the snake adds longer to reach you, giving you more time to burn the boss before you have to deal with adds.
Normal Mode Loot
Tomb of the Ancients
After defeating Slad’ran, your group can proceed to the Tomb of Ancients and the second boss, Drakkari Colossus. You will likely run into:
Drakkari God Hunter — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 504-1178
- Shoot – inflicts 1079-1188 physical damage
- Arcane Shot – deals 1132-1624 arcane damage
- Flare – exposes stealthed enemies within 10 yards
- Deterrence – increases chance to dodge or parry by 25% for 10 seconds
Drakkari Golem — 79653 HP. Normal melee damage 812-2435
- Thunderclap – deals 881-1129 nature damage to nearby enemies and reduces attack speed and movement speed by 25% for 10 seconds
- Shockwave – frontal cone attack, deals 1720-3182 and stuns enemies for 2 seconds
- Body of Stone – increases Golem’s damage by 50% for 12 seconds, but he is rooted in place and attack speed is 50% slower
This boss has nearly 118K HP and it’s normal melee damage is 2729-3783. This encounter has two alternating phases, when he is Drakkari Colossus and when he releases a Drakkari Elemental.
- Mighty Blow – deals 175% weapon damage to a single target
- Emerge – Drakkari Elemental emerges from the stone colossus
- Mojo Volley – deals 1961-2239 damage to all nearby enemies
- Surge – surges through enemies in a line up to 40 yards, drenching them in Mojo
- Merge – returns to the Drakkari Colossus
After you clear the Tomb of the Ancients, you will see the Colossus standing there surrounded by Living Mojo mobs. On the pull, those mobs will merge with the boss, you do not have to fight them.
While fighting the Colossus this encounter is a tank-and-spank. Your tank may get a debuff that decreases healing received by 50% during this phase and may hit for about 4k damage on the tank at times, so healers will want to use their biggest heal.
At 50% a Drakkari Elemental (theoretically all of the Living Mojo mobs that merged with each other and the Colossus) emerges and the Colossus is inactive. During this phase, heavy healing is necessary. The elemental will be throwing poison-like purplish mojo on the floor that everyone in your group should avoid. If you stand in the mojo puddles you will start taking 1000-1300 damage per tick. A priest can use Prayer of Healing during this phase. A pally healer can cast Beacon of Light on themselves, so they will get healed while healing their party.
The Drakkari Elemental will also “Surge” or charge, doing damage to anyone it passes. You can actually avoid this damage by moving out of the path of the Drakkari Elemental.
When the Elemental is at about 50%, it will merge with the Colossus again. The Drakkari Colossus then becomes active again until it’s health reaches 20%, then the Elemental emerges again. When you kill the Elemental this time, the fight ends and the body of the Elemental contains your loot.
Don’t forget your quest item for “One of a Kind”.
Normal Mode Loot
Cave of Mam’toth
You will travel through this cave on your way to Moorabi. Here you will likely face:
Drakkari Lancer — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 801-1127
- Impale – deals 1354-1900 physical damage, target bleeds for about 400 damage every 2 seconds for 8 seconds
- Retaliation – an effect that counterattacks any enemy that attacks the mob for 5 seconds, dealing 1306-2533 physical damage
- Disarm – forces an enemy to stop wielding a weapon for 5 seconds
Drakkari Fire Weaver — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 600-1091
- Lava Burst – deals 1021-1301 fire damage, if Flame Shock is active on the target Lava Burst will do double damage
- Flame Shock – inflicts 407-778 damage every 3 seconds for 15 seconds
- Blast Wave – deals 1847-2071 fire damage to nearby enemies and reduces movement speed for 6 seconds
Drakkari Medicine Man — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 875-2038
- Cleanse Magic – removes 1 harmful spell from an ally
- Mana Link – spells cast draw energy from the enemy target instead of the Medicine Man’s own pool, lasts 20 seconds
- Earth Shield – melee attacks will heal the shielded mob
- Healing Wave – can heal a friendly target for about 15000 HP
Drakkari Earthshaker — 73964 HP. Normal melee damage 1556-2676, crits up to 5k-6k are possible
- Slam Ground – deals normal damage plus 35, with a knockback
- Powerful Blow – inflicts 150% normal damage
- Head Crack – reduces the target’s Stamina for 20 seconds
The High Prophet of Mam’toth, he has 235K HP. Normal melee damage 886-2010.
- Ground Tremor – deals 2922-3150 physical damage to everyone in your party
- Quake – deals 4581-4728 physical damage (while transformed)
- Determined Gore – inflicts physical damage, target bleeds 785-1062 per tick
- Determined Stab – deals 1001-1049 physical damage, cannot be parried, blocked, or dodged
- Transformation – Moorabi transforms into a mammoth, damage dealt is increased by 25%
This encounter is probably the easiest in Gundrak. A tank-and-spank in its purest form, there are no adds and the encounter doesn’t really change when the boss transforms. This fight does however take a lot of healing, everyone in the group will be taking damage from Ground Tremor or Quake. The healer must also have good timing, because heals will be interrupted and/or the healer will be silenced for about 3 seconds during each Tremor.
Moorabi’s Transformation is initially a 4 second cast and it can be interrupted. As the encounter progresses though, his cast time is reduced so the third time he tries to cast Transformation it will probably be little more than 2 seconds. A rogue can use Mind-Numbing Poison to make it easier to interrupt.
Normal Mode Loot
Pool of Twisted Reflections
After you defeat Moorabi (and provided your group has activated the altars after each boss), you can jump into the water from Moorabi’s altar to enter the Pool of Twisted Reflections and reach the last boss, Gal’darah. Don’t hang out in the water, there are some very unfriendly fish.
When you come out of the water, you’ll need to head north to cross the bridge defeating these last few trash mobs to clear the way.
Drakkari Battle Rider — 45516 HP. Normal melee damage 132-304
- Throw – deals 762-1639 physical damage
- Poisoned Spear – inflicts 2531-2630 nature damage and 900-1000 more every 3 seconds for 21 seconds
Drakkari Rhino — 91032 HP. Normal melee damage 1001-1507
- Deafening Roar – deals 1471-1574 damage
- Charge – charges at an enemy causing 4009 and possible knockback
The High Prophet of Akali, he has 294K HP. Normal melee damage 1712-3034. This encounter has two phases, when the boss is in Troll form and when he is a Rhino.
- Whirling Slash – deals about 1000-1200 physical damage to nearby enemies, then 1554-2388 damage every 3 seconds
- Impale – immobilizes a target and deals about 750 damage per second
- Stomp – deals 1025-1302 damage
- Rhino Spirit – can Stampede causing 4075-4124 damage to a target
- Puncture – deals about 1000 damage every 3 seconds for 5 seconds, can stack
- Enrage – attack speed increases to 125% for 10 seconds
Gal’darah transforms into a Rhino at 75%, back into a Troll at 50%, and into a Rhino again at 25%.
When the boss is in Troll form, there will be a Rhino Spirit add that will charge at your party members, doing 3k-4k damage and knocking them back about 10 yards.
The melee DPS and even the tank can move out of his AoE Whirling Slash, to save the healer some mana, or especially if the healer is impaled. Impale seems to last about 5 or 6 seconds, but a lot can happen in that time period when you have no healer.
Aside from that, this is mostly a DPS race. The healer (if possible) should keep a HoT on themselves just in case they become impaled.
Normal Mode Loot
You can leave the instance quickly through passageways on either side of the altar behind Gal’darah.
- Utgarde Keep
- The Nexus
- Ahn'Kahet: The Old Kingdom
- Drak'Tharon Keep
- The Violet Hold
- Ulduar: Halls of Stone
- Caverns of Time: The Culling of Stratholme
- The Oculus
- Ulduar: Halls of Lightning
- Utgarde Pinnacle
- Fathom-Lord Karathress
- High Astromancer Solarian
- High King Maulgar
- High Warlord Naj'entus (Trash)
- Hydross the Unstable (Trash)
- Leotheras the Blind
- The Lurker Below
- Morogrim Tidewalker
- Shade of Akama
- Void Reaver
- Zygor Leveling Guides
- Team Idemise Guide
- Joana's Horde Guide
- Brian Kopp's Alliance Guide
- Ultimate WoW Guide
- Warcraft Millionaire
- Luke Brown's Gold Secrets
- Warcraft Wealth
- Warcraft Riches
- Valkor's Gold Making Guide